Hester's Theme



It's always good to find that one of my stories or characters has inspired somebody to create something of their own.  A while ago, Ray Clark sent me the link to a piece of music he's written based on Hester Shaw in the Predator Cities books.  I've already put it up on my Facebook page, so apologies for taking so long to post it here too.

The picture above is Julia Zhuravleva's portrait of Hester, (she's eleth89  on DeviantArt and made the lovely animated opening sequence which I posted here last year).  And here's another Hester picture I just discovered, also on DeviantArt, this time by Ronaldo Santa...


Don't forget, if you're in or near Torquay in South Devon, I'll be talking about Hester and the rest of the Predator Cities/ Fever Crumb universe at Torquay Library this coming Thursday, 5th July...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is really good music! Me and a friend actually had a fanband called The Snilth when I was younger. It wasn't very good, but this is excellent. I plan to play it on my podcast next week if I can get my hands on a copy somewhere.

Philip Reeve said...

Well I say hooray for The Snilth! I always vaguely hoped someone would start a Mortal Engines themed band, called, perhaps, 'The Mortal Engines'... until I found that there already is one, and they've been operating since long before I wrote the book. But a band called Bleaklow has done a long instrumental piece called 'the Sunless Country' partly inspired by the ending of 'A Darkling Plain'; I'll see if I can post a link to that here soon.

Unknown said...

I am familiar with, and remember being rather disappointed by, The Mortal Engines.

If you are interested, here is a link to a Snilth song: http://ia601203.us.archive.org/4/items/Aerlantis/Aerlantis.m4a

I am aware you are not a fan of steampunk, and I do see why. However, Larklight was my gateway into that world (as a 12 year old) and was my favorit book until I discovered Mortal Engines. Your work has inspired a lot of my own films and writing (if indirectly). Thanks for being awesome.

Post a Comment