Brecon Beacons to BGS

Well, the Hay Festival went well, and here's a link to Sarah McIntyre's account of the events we did together. there didn't seem much point in me blogging about them because I didn't get back to my computer until a week after the festival finished, having stayed on for a holiday with Sam and Sarah in the nearby Brecon Beacons.  We had a great time, avoided the rain that seemed to be lashing the rest of the British isles, and got Sam up his first two mountains, Carn Du and its near-neighbour Pen y Fan - a bit of a cheat, since the route we took starts from a car park half way up, but still a good long walk.

The conquest of Pen y Fan
We also visited some fine Welsh castles, and had a lovely evening with Jasper Fforde and his wife Mari, who live near Hay (I'm currently reading Jasper's novel Shades of Grey, which is very strange and ingenious and extremely good).  And on the way home we stopped off at Caerleon to look at the Roman remains.  There is a well-preserved amphitheatre there, as well as a small but fascinating Roman Legions museum, and a Roman baths, very beautifully displayed and far more atmospheric than the ones at Bath (also free!).

This week I've been (very briefly) in Bristol, as a guest of the wonderful Bristol Grammar School.  You can read about my visit here.

5 comments:

Tim Knight said...

For a moment my confused brain thought you were referring to "50 Shades Of Grey"... which I gather is something else entirely!

Anonymous said...

Oh mannnnn.... I'd have loved to spent an evening with you and Jasper ! Two of my favourite authors !

Will you be in Scotland at any point ? I have a class full of 11 yr olds who would love to meet you too ! (using my privileged position to brainwash pupils ? moi ?)

Philip Reeve said...

Hello Tim! That hadn't struck me until I went looking for a link to Shades of Grey on Amazon this morning for this post. Hopefully it's doing Mr Fforde's sales some good to be sharing a page and almost a title with the fastest selling paperback ever.

And hello Anonymous: sadly I don't often get to Scotland. I'll be at the Edinburgh Festival on the 12th August this year, but of course your 11 year olds will still be on holiday then.

Anonymous said...

That's the last day of their hols... May suggest to the class that it would be a nice way to end the summer (unfortunately I'll be cramming in the last remnants of freedom up north with the family - hard life !!)

Mary said...

Very nice! You did exciting things. Have you gone outdoors all the time or have you stayed at cottages in brecon beacons and strolled around?

Post a Comment