Behind the Sword in the Stone - the Premiere


In the ancient oak woods on the Glendalough Estate in County Wicklow stands this mysterious mossy pillar. At first glance it might be mistaken for an old gate-post, but in fact it's a bit of movie archaeology. For these are the woods where, back in 1980, John Boorman shot his movie Excalibur, and this relic is the concrete stabiliser from inside the artificial boulder in which Excalibur itself was stuck. There's a slot in the top into which the sword would have fitted, and the two bolts on the side would have been tightened up to make sure that no one but King Arthur (Nigel Terry) could draw it from the stone... a trick that would appeal to my own Myrddin, in Here Lies Arthur.


I was in Ireland last week for the premiere of Behind the Sword in the Stone, a documentary film about the making of Excalibur by Mossy Hare Productions. You might remember that, this time last year, I was auctioning off signed books and drawings to help raise money for their Indiegogo fund-raising drive.  I also made a donation of my own, which qualifies me as an executive producer - so I could hardly miss the first screening. And when I told director Mark Wright that I was coming, he very kindly invited me to stay with him and his partner Kathleen. So I flew over to Dublin on Thursday night, and on Friday I helped gather wine and glasses for the reception after the screening, and watched in amazement as Kathleen cooked more vol-au-vents and mini quiches than I think I've ever seen in one place. Then, in a howling storm, Mark drove us down to Bray, and the Mermaid Arts Centre, where the film was to be shown. Despite the foul weather, a good crowd turned up to watch, including Terry English (who made the armour for Excalibur) and John Lawlor, one of the assistant directors. And it was great to meet one of the other executive producers, Leah Krevit, who runs the Byrneholics website dedicated to all things Gabriel Byrne. She'd flown in all the way from Texas, where she's building a house in the mountains near Alpine.


Obviously I'm far too partial an observer to review the new film, but it more than lived up to my expectations, and seemed to go down well with the whole audience, including those who have never actually seen Excalibur. One of the things which makes Excalibur so important, and makes Behind the Sword in the Stone such a worthwhile project, is that it gave a start in movies to a lot of people who have since become household names; Liam Neeson, Gabriel Byrne, Patrick Stewart, and composer Trevor Jones. It was also a major early role for Helen Mirren, while Neil Jordan, credited as Creative Consultant, shot a behind-the-scenes documentary which Mossy Hare have drawn on for their film. Mark and his co-director Alec Moore have secured interviews with all of them, and also with Nigel Terry, Cherie Lunghi, Clive Swift and Paul Geoffrey, with John Boorman himself, with his son Charley and daughter Katrine (who both appear in Excalibur), with Terry English, and with important behind-the-scenes figures such as John Lawlor, and Kevin Moriarty of Ardmore Studios.

'Behind the Sword in the Stone' Excerpt from Alec Moore on Vimeo.

They all have great anecdotes to tell, many of which are very funny - there was a lot of laughter during the screening. They all seem to look back on Excalibur with immense affection. Gabriel Byrne is hilarious, and Patrick Stewart is particularly twinkly as he recounts his misadventures on horseback and in armour. But as the film progresses, the tone shifts subtly, remembering those members of the cast who have passed away in the thirty three years since it was made. They include Nicol Williamson, who dominated Excalibur as the wizard Merlin, and whose absence from Behind the Sword in the Stone could have seemed a major hole - but he's there in spirit, I think, with a long-ish chunk dedicated to the cast and crew's memories of him.


One of my favourite minor performances in Excalibur was that of Niall O'Brien as Arthur's brother Kay. Although he was a heroic figure in the early Celtic Arthurian tales, Kay is usually portrayed as a bully and a buffoon by later writers, but Niall O'Brien rehabilitates him; he's always there in the background, a dependable older brother who sticks by Arthur to the very end. Sadly,  Niall O'Brien died in 2009, but I was pleased to meet his wife at the screening, and also his son Ruairi, who directed his father in this short film, Teeth.

But most of all, and quite rightly, Behind the Sword in the Stone stands as a tribute to John Boorman's vision, and to the charm, skill and perseverance with which he managed to bring it to the screen.  Always an excellent interviewee, it was great to see him talking at such length about my favourite of his films; not just about the technical difficulties, but also things like his decision to dress the actors in mediaeval armour that is far too late for the dark ages setting - he wanted to make it mythic. And, of course, he succeeded; I can't think of a better evocation of myth in mainstream cinema.

We were hoping that he would attend the premiere, but sadly the weather on Friday night was so bad that he decided to stay at home. But on Sunday morning Mark drove me over to Glendalough (through a surprising snowstorm in the Wicklow Gap). We met Alec at the Glendalough Estate and they showed me around some of the Excalibur locations there, including the little hill in the woods where the sword in the stone stood...


Photo: Alec Moore
 and the avenue of conifers where Arthur and Guinevere were married.



Photo: Alec Moore

How very strange, having come to know these scenes so well from the movie, to walk around them in real life. And how very much stranger, shortly afterwards, to drive up to John Boorman's lovely old rectory and meet John himself, who gave us coffee and some (very good) cake.  We didn't stay long, and I was struggling to avoid having a FANBOY MELTDOWN, so I never got around to telling him that I think he's the best film director we have, and that his films helped to turn me into a writer. But I'm very happy to report that he is still hard at work; he had just returned from Roumania, where he's been shooting his latest project, a sequel to Hope and Glory called Queen and Country.

Photo: Alec Moore
It's been a pleasure to be involved with the Mossy Hares, and Behind the Sword in the Stone, which they shot at their own expense over the past two years, is a great achievement. Next year they will be arranging screenings in London and New York and, hopefully, some TV broadcasts. After that, Mark is planning more documentaries, while Alec has already shot a short film, In This Place, currently in post-production, and he is working on a feature.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely to read this, very envious. Cheers. JH.

Frank W. Kelly said...

You've got to love these unexpected twists and turns in live! And I'm always amazed how a Film can touch and shape our lives! They are powerful things!!!

Philip Reeve said...

Thanks both! And yes, it is strange to think that buying my ticket for the ABC cinema back in Brighton that summer's day in 1981 led directly to me crossing the Wicklow Gap by landrover in a blizzard nearly thirty three years later...

Emma Newman said...

Oh that is so very exciting! I really hope I get a chance to see that, it looks fantastic. What a grand adventure :)

Unknown said...

when and where will this video be available for purchase?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I enjoyed your article. I wrote an analysis of this movie regarding the character Perceval as the main character. I would love to pass it on to Mr. Geoffrey to see what he thinks but have no idea how to send a message to him. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can you pass on the essay. It is titled The (Not So) Hidden Hero of Excalibur and I posted at my wordpress blog, myrandomthoughtdump.wordpress.com. I am not seeking hits or links or anything to my site. The site is just for personal therapy anyways. But I am dying to know whether other see what I see in this film. Thanks for your time.

Philip Reeve said...

Thanks so much for that link! I agree with you about Perceval being the real hero of the film; he was the character I latched onto when I first saw it, and who gave a human element to it. I doubt it would have affected me half so much without him.And Paul Geoffrey's performance is superb. I spent the rest of the 80s expecting to see him in other films, but it never happened, and he seems to have retired from acting now, so I'm afraid I have no way of contacting him. But thank you again for the link!

Post a Comment